View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Emmett, Sqauw Butte, Id. 5/1/2012

The scenic route to my daughter's track meet 5/1/2012

Thought I would update this series with a little railroad depot and other stuff. Had too (wanted too), go to my daughters track meet and decided I would ride my TW there. Well, looking out the window (actually I was pulling weeds and stuff), I thought to myself - self, why don't you take a scenic cruise on the way to the track meet. I generally agree with myself, so off I went.

My route would take me on some tar roads N.E. to Emmett, ID. Then some tar and dirt roads to Squaw Butte Fire Lookout (been wanting to visit the lookout for years). I would then head west back to New Plymouth, ID to the track meet via mostly dirt road with some tar at the end (not counting the ride home which is also tar based).

I may have gone a skosh out of my way to get to the track meet. New Plymouth is 12 miles N.W. from my house, I put on 100 and sumpin miles altogether. It was a fine day for a ride!

First stop in Emmett is the mostly abandoned Boise-Cascade sawmill. Looks eerie with nothing around but weeds and stuff.

Some old power plant info for the sawmill. Wouldn't have seen this if I hadn't pulled into the old parking lot

And here's the Emmett train depot, as far as I know

What it looked like before color photo's

I can't verify this, but the below photo is suppose to be the depot, err before trains. This according to the Gem County website I found the photo's on. Looks similar, but if this was the same building as the depot, some modifications were done in later years.

I now head north out of Emmett toward the lookout

The last few miles to the lookout were very steep and washboardy (hope washboardy is a word). Regardless, the sure footed mule took me to my destination just fine.

Here's the lookout, all buttoned up for winter. The lookout is normally staffed during the fire season

View looking east sorta overlooking the Sweet/Montour, ID valley. Of course more scenic in person

View looking north with some other alien communication detection buildings in the distance

And of course I can't have a ride without a little action video

Well, thats all for now. Until my next trip, enjoy, ride and above all else, have fun!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote