View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #14
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
I went looking for a donor R80g/s for the hpn, but there was nothing local and only 2 options on the East Coast the first too pricey the second was pile of junk at an outrageous price . I must have been looking a good 3 months nada!
Then I'm talking to a fellow tire kicker at the bike workshop one Saturday morning and he mentions a GS he saw locally when he was out one day. He had asked the owner about it and if he would be interested in selling, apparently it was a maybe. So I get all enthusiastic and then he slips in the fact that this was 18 months ago !! But he still has a name and a mobile number.
Good thing it was a mobile, when I rang I found out the owner had recently moved to a town house in Freo and yes he was thinking of advertising the bike. Turns out he had been sidetracked by an old Ducati he was restoring and had bought a scooter for shopping trips so the old girl (the gs) was gathering dust in his garage.

I shot down there for a look and there under a sheet is is a tired looking but complete 1983 G/S. Somewhere along the line he has given the tank a rattle can blue paint job and found a strange looking muffler that is steadily rusting away, but despite not having run in several months it started easily from cold, coughed spluttered and settled down into an easy idle :-)

Shortly thereafter a deal was struck and I left the happy to be owner of my second R80g/s. She followed me home the next day ... On my trailer and then it was straight down to the workshop.

Now be kind she ain't too pretty and wasn't feeling photogenic on this day. You know the light was bad the photographer was average I'm sure you'll understand, be kind....

Dakar83 screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 07:19 AM
Dakar83 is offline   Reply With Quote