View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #81
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteFoulkes View Post
It was here where we both decided we were sick of carrying so much luggage. There and then we both had a massive de-bulk session. I was impressed with just how ruthless we both were. Pretty much everything went other than a few pairs of boxers, socks and a couple of t-shirts. We also revisited the spares we were carrying and worked out what we could lose and what we could strap to the bike so we didn't need to cart it in and out of the tent or hostels each night and morning.
Good job on trimming things down. Not easy to do. Another reason I like doing a "shake down" cruise on a new bike before jumping off. As I said in earlier post: "... packing light is a fine art!" Looks like you guys got religion early!

I now use mostly Quik dry synthetic fabrics. Very little Cotton anything. Smart Wool long johns and socks, Gerbing Jacket, Moto gear for hot weather. Keen shoes for walking. I start very light and sometimes buy items as needed. I wash every other day or so. Shorts, T shirts dry in 2 to 3 hours. Socks, 6 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteFoulkes View Post
In the Wolfman sides we have clothes and spares, on the top we have tents and cooking gear only. The tools have been strategically placed throughout the bikes and mainly in a lockable tool kit on the back of one bike and the big chain lock on other bike. The weight seems to be fairly distributed between the two bikes. I'm also now happy with the amount of weight we are carrying and no doubt the sub-frame is in for a better chance of survival. The following morning the bike felt like a completely different ride. It was a huge relief.
I sometimes camp but rarely cook on the road unless with groups. I prefer interaction with locals eating local food. Of course I carry snacks and some food. In some parts of the world camping is not practical or safe. Most of Mexico, Cent. Am. and S. America I never camped.

But you guys will be experts at setting up/tearing down camp by the time you reach Magadan, and I realize camping is a necessity where you're headed. Enjoy!

Everyone has their own idea about what parts and tools to carry. After 45K on my DR650 and 200,000 on a couple other bikes in the last ten years ... I now carry very little. But I start out with lots of NEW parts on a well tested machine. Lots of it is just blind luck of course. But at some point, you get a sense for your bike's needs ... or not.

Reading ride reports on RTW travel since about 1998, I see one common and recurring problem among many riders: Chains and Sprocket problems. So many riders can't seem to get this right. This especially plagues inexperienced riders ... who aren't really long time motorcyclists.

My advice is get the best X ring chain you can find (there really is only one) and NEW OEM sprockets to start out. I carry TWO spare front sprockets and change them every 8K to 10K miles. This extends chain life by a lot. I carry no chain tools or spare chain or rear sprocket.

I also take serious care of my chain and typically get 25,000 miles out of a chain, even doing lots of off road. With this mileage I am able to plan when to do a change.

I clean chain daily when doing big miles. Off road, I only use WD40. Wiping it down and keeping it clean means it will last ... if it's adjusted properly and lightly oiled for road use. Many run a too tight chain. Not good on a heavily loaded bike.

Another common problem? Battery. I would replace it every 6 to 8 months, just for good PM. They are quite small. Only so many starts in it. Headlight off when not needed is recommended to extend it.

I carry no spare cables (I start with NEW ones and they last 3 to 5 years), no CDI box or coil. I do carry two spare plugs (Iridium of course) and spare rear brake pads. (fronts last a LONG time) Also, I carry fork seals. But if you keep your seal/fork area clean you probably will never cut a seal.

Next biggest challenge: Tires.
I assume you guys have contacted Walter Colebatch? The Russian expert?
Are you buying tires locally? Hope they are not too dear. Good luck in Ukraine, ride safe!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote