View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,260
Long post of tips and stuff from the other thread. Just general racing I found that was good for newer racers or those looking to get into it. Click on the thread in the OP if you're wondering what type of bike to get for it, lots of discussion on that, but this is more about racing than what type of bike so just posting those tidbits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
Go a local race and see what people are racing and pay attention to what guys in your class are doing well on. Talk to some of them..ask questions. I know I love talking motorcycles, even more so to someone looking to get someone involved in a sport I love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
For starting riders, their biggest issue is almost always having enough fitness to finish an event. Once their fitness level improves, they can work on their riding technique.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osnabrock View Post
Be sure that you don't put yourself in a a bad position when pulling off to allow a faster rider past.
You will hear when people are coming up behind you. Everyone is very congenial and let you know by blasting the throttle long before they're right on top of you.
Most folks won't be upset by you taking a few extra yards to find a place to pull off that won't leave you behind a log or tree.
Never put yourself out to appease the person behind you. Any true sportsman will understand your decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
A couple of tips from a slow guy that enjoys harescrambles.

the top 10 things i recommend----

1:Set a goal to just to finish the race. not be competitive in your class, just to finish. Get one under your belt then go racing.
2:Be patient off the start, you wont win in the first turn, its a 2 hour race.
3:Start hydrating midweek, pounding a ton of water the morning of the race isnt a good method. Start increasing your water intake on wed/thurs.
4:Get out of the way of the faster riders ASAP. Trust me its better to lose a little time slowing/moving to let them pass then having them put you in the weeds getting around you.
5: relax, relax, relax, breath, breath, breath, relax relax relax, breath breath breath, repeat in your helmet for 2 hours, LOL
6: Look as far ahead as you can, watch for the X, XX, watch for banners, markers obstacles. DO NOT look right in front of you. You will blow a turn, miss a corner, etc. Keep your chin up, imagine a tennis ball glued to your chin. Do NOT stare at the riders rear tire in front of you. Look ahead, way ahead, look where you want to go, not where you are at.
7: practice with faster riders
8: Have fun, dont take it too seriously
9: prep your bike meticulously. It sucks to spend the time and money to get to a race and drop out on the first lap because of poor bike prep.
10: Wear your saftey gear, its hot, sometimes uncomfortable but it works.

BREATH, relax, keep a loose grip, do NOT, i repeat do NOT quit. no matter how tired, sore and frustrated you are just dont quit. The most rewarding part of your first race will be seeing the checkered flag.

HAVE FUN!!!
Quote:
Food and beverages are a very personal choice. I ride with a camelback and usually use grape propel in it. For me a good breakfast is very important, it's the main fuel for the race. I like a bunch of scrambled eggs for the protein. Banana and some whole wheat toast. Then a couple more bananas before the race and usually mixed nuts and/or a protein bar or Lara bar. I have hand/wrist issues so I always take aleve to help with that.

Take a cooler with cold water and something to eat after the Race, I promise you will be starving.

If you get arm pump stop for a few seconds and shake them out, for me I would rather lose a little time shaking them out then pushing through and piling up Into a tree or taking someone else out. A little time lost here and there does add up but crashing a bunch because you can't feel the levers wastes more time and energy.
Quote:
no better way to get in shape than racing!!! plus the racing will tell you EXACTLY what areas of fitness you need to work on. get out there, get started, get addicted...you only live once, dont procrastinate, roost it up man!!

The anxiety, nerves, anticipation, uncertainty, adrenaline and excitement is all part of the experience and what makes it fun. PLus you get some great campfire stories
There ya have it.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote