View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #48
Noprogram
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by akblack10 View Post
I am really starting to enjoy this dual sport riding thing! My question is can anyone recommend a way for me to get smart with basic maintenance? Unfortunately I did not grow up turning a wrench but I am a quick learner! Should I just read a manual and go for it or are their some regional groups that could point me in the right direction! I just want to be able to do the basic things myself, change oil, fluids, fix a flat tire etc..... probably sounds like a silly question but had to ask!
-Thanks, AK
Hi AK....got yourself the right bike is a good start! XR's are reliable so you shouldn't have to do too much to it but they're also easy to work if something does go wrong or needs some adjustment.

There's a number of things that can help you get started on working on your bike. Reading through some of the forums on here will give you an idea on how things are done in a general sense and good tricks and tips. Lots of experienced guys and probably be able to find some locals and or heaps of XR enthusiasts. -Check out the project builds especially. Get yourself a manual as it will outline the specific procedure and specifications (torque settings and fluids etc) for the work at hand. You can study up before hand and get an idea of how challenging it might be and what tools and setup you'll require. YouTube of course is a good source for common procedures like changing a tire etc. These are good because you can see different techniques and tricks that can come in handy. Start to get some good tools together, it makes the work enjoyable and less chance of a 'clusterstuffup' by using the wrong tool or bad quality. Once you get that shiny tool in your hand you'll want to use it! Have a look at the tools forum for ideas, tips and tricks from the masters. A basic workstand is also handy.

Apart from that, most tasks are easily achievable if you plan, take your time to think things through and work methodically. Also by learning to work on your bike at home means that your bike is less likely to fail on the trail and secondly you'll know what to do and have the tools to fix if it does! Happy riding

"If you're going to be stupid you better be tough"

Noprogram is offline   Reply With Quote