View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #122
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
I was curious, how does the KTM support work? You pay a fee and then they provide all parts and labor as well or just parts? Do you get to use their pits, tools, etc? Will they provide a new engine for the mid race engine change allowed? With the year old bike, does some of this become an issue as I figure they change things or do they provide all parts for a few year models? Its really cool to think you would have factory backing of some sort (albeit at a price).
The KTM Support Package is 2000 Euro for the Dakar and basically provides you access to parts from the Rally Fishe. No mechanic but I'm not worried about that. My bike is 2012 model and not much has changed to the 2013 bikes that will come out later this year. The support package does not cover spare engines so unfortunately if you want one of those you have to fork out for one and figure out a way of taking it with you, or paying someone else to carry it for you. Another 5000 Euro + VAT + carriage on the event.

I hate opening my budget spreadsheet, every time it opens it gets larger! One thing I have realised with this is that if you want to do it right, it's going to cost you $$$$$$$. At the moment that is something that I seriously need some more of

I have just sent my first payment off to the ASO and for some support elements and it was another transfer for way over a years worth of mortgage and bills combined

It'll all be worth it, right!
My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote