View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #138
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRUSERIOUS? View Post
[INSERT FOX WHISTLE HERE]

Man that old girl looks mighty fine. Excellent work on the bike and true to your nature as a skilled craftsman the photography and post overall, is top notch and well received sir....carry on!
First of all, I need to take a moment to thank you for your support, KLRUSERIOUS! You've been the biggest contributor to this thread and I appreciate it. There have been times that I've been lying in bed thinking, "I'd really better start making some progress on the bike, or KLRUSERIOUS will be disappointed!"

So, thanks!

OK, onward...

I got the rims and hubs back from the powder coater. I went with gloss black on the rims - a far cry from original or stock, but I think it's a decision I'm going to be happy with. I had the wheel hubs and final drive assembly blasted clean and then powder coated with a matte clear coat. It turned out nice, but it doesn't look as natural as I was hoping for. The photos make it look better than I think it looks in person. I was hoping for something that would look like clean, raw aluminum. I think it's a bit too dark grey to look natural, but it still looks good and once they're mounted, I think it will be harder to notice. The main purpose of coating the wheels was to keep them clean. I don't mind occasionally having to clean and scrub the aluminum bits that are easily within reach, like the cylinders and the rest of the engine, but I do NOT want to be disassembling the wheels every few years to clean out the ribs in the wheel hubs (and yes, I am anal enough that I would probably do that)....

So, here are the photos. I apologize for the poor quality, all I had on me at the time was my phone.

You can see what I mean about the color being a bit too grey better on these parts:

I took the wheels/hubs straight to a local BMW shop and asked them to order some stainless spokes and reassemble the wheels. That should take about two weeks total.

While I was there, I also had them reinstall the driveshaft in the swingarm - so now I can start reassembling the final drive assembly, swingarm, shocks, etc.

More soon - I'm on a roll now!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166

backdrifter screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 01:18 PM
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote