View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #434
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbastard View Post
So I will be doing a rally navigation experience event in 6 weeks hosted by Dakar stage winner Jonah Street. As I haven't done a rally moto before I needed to make a few changes to my dirt bike for the event.

It would be nice if I could mount this a little higher and further forward for viewing while standing. I was messing around with an electric screw driver I have and think I can convert this set up to have electric scrolling, maye set it up to work of my horn button. I've got 6 weeks to finallize my set up.

FYI:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but go ahead and invest in an F2R now cause you will buy one anyways after the RB event.

The Acerbis unit is terrible and does not scroll the RB properly. I did the same thing as you and hated the cheap acerbis unit. Turning the roadbook by hand when it does work is dangerous and impractical.

Load some paper in that thing now and test it out before you go, so you do not ruin your training by using a POS device.

It will turn the paper OK at the beginning, but 1/2 way through you will find that you will have to first unwind the bottom spool before you can win the top spool. All while riding offroad.

I also found that it helps to keep the tube extension that attaches to the page advance knob as short as possible since it tends to twist instead of turning the Rb. A quick tip is to put some glue and a wire tie on both ends of the tube so it does not slip on the knob and roadbook paper shaft.

That is all.