View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #30
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,399
May 5, 2012 - Cold was the theme of our ride to Yosemite today. It took 20 mins to get Jan's bike started as the temperature was nearer freezing than we cared for.

A quick bite and off we were, on the way to Sonora Pass to cross the Sierras towards Yosemite. At the top, we stopped to take some pictures and minutes later were paying homage to our engines, praying to the almighty BMW gods, or so it must have seemed to a few skiers pulling up to park next to us. We were both kneeling next to our bikes, gloved hands wrapped around the protruding engine to try and extract some warmth for near-frozen extremities. It was just below freezing and with the wind-chill, it was less than comfortable. Add to that the numerous frozen patches of runoff and we were in 100% attention mode on the switchbacks.

When someone tells you absolutely have to see this or that movie, and you do, there is always a sense of disappointment, the whole thing being oversold and not in line with your expectations. I felt the same seeing Yosemite. It was nice, nothing wrong with it, in a Disney sort of way, but it's not a place I would make a detour for again.

I shot a slew of pictures and decided to delete just about all of them, converting some to black and white to create somewhat of an effect over and above the standard postcard shot.
In the evening, we stayed in a place at Angels Camp, from where we rode straight to San Francisco the next day.