Thread: Gymkhana
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #30
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Christened my new R&G frame sliders as well as my suit today with a small drop. Chopped throttle at the tightest bend, and bike went down, tumbled off it onto my knee, elbow and then back. Speed was well bellow 10mph, so bike didn't even slide, just dropped.

One thing for those who want to do this sport, is to definitely be ATGATT about it. Good knee pads, hip pads, tail bone, and all upper, chest, back, elbows, shoulder and good gloves with good padding on the fingers.
Good boots too, no sneakers, or even work boots. A good chance of trapping your foot under the bike, since the speeds are pretty low and you are not sliding away from the bike.

Public parking lot is becoming an issue. First of all I wouldn't want to take any tumbles in front of the public (this one happened in early, early morning, so it was completely empty), as it would create an unsafe environment for people around me and just makes me look reckless, which produces complaints and a patrol car.

Second, as my skills are slowly increase, so is the size of the course. The best parking lot so far, with a decent pavement produces a roughly 80x80 foot square for my course. Right now its pretty good for what I can do, but I can see that it will become too small in a few months of constant practice.

Have to start looking for a private or an abandoned lot in my area.

Overall, had pretty good morning of practice, even with the tumble. Refined my previous course to a simplified one, which is a bit shorter, but gives me a chance to run it constantly, one lap after another.

Here is the diagram for anybody who is interested. It will look messy at first, but just follow the numbers and it will make sense. It gives me a few good speed bends, and then a tight more technical bit. Good practice for hard braking in the very first straight as well as the last to the finish. This is roughly 80 x 80 feet. First and last cone at 1 and 14 can be used as turn-around to start next lap immediately, so its a continuous course.

gymkhanaCourse

On the other hand a simple practice of running 8's can still be done on a small parking lot, and even without cones. Good braking, and lock to lock turning is essential, and 8's give you a chance to practice all of that.

PS: MotoMind, tried setting up your course, but ran out of room. Tried setting it up smaller, but due to some potholes and bad pavement couldn't get it to work fully on the lot I usually practice on, especially with the faster bends in it. Gotta find more space.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote