View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #665
patanga
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 161
Centre stand springs

I've heard of people having great difficulty refitting these so here is my quick & easy fitting tip; I use 2 zippy ties (one will likely break) and I make two loops in parallel ( a single insulated wire loop would probably work as well) which I attach through the eye of the spring not attached to the frame. I tie the other end of the two loops together with a length of twine/rope that is strong enough to overcome the spring tension (but will obviously not break the twine). The plastic ties grip the spring end when things start getting cramped whereas a steel wire loop is likely to slip off and sit you on your backside. This setup will allow you to pull the spring in a linear direction (which is how these springs work) far enough to attach them the the side stand fixing lug. Forget using side cutters at 90 degrees, or brake spring tools as you will be able to fit these springs in less than 10 seconds (once all is lined up) using
this method. Good luck

Check us out on facebook at "BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"
http://www.facebook.com/groups/anzairheads/

patanga screwed with this post 06-15-2012 at 08:11 PM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote