View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #37
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,383
May 14, 2012 - Part of our ride from Las Vegas ran over Route 66, which was amusing in the usual tacky tourist sense. The ride was pleasant though. The original plan was to ride to Flagstaff and cut up from there, but we ended up in Williams, AZ, a very friendly place with loads of cheap motels and one crazy Greek restaurant owner.

My bike developed a weird ailment in that it decided to leak oil from the filter housing cover. I fixed it, twice, and now it seems ok. Another fix that was needed was replacing a U bolt on the side stand as yours truly had a tendency to scrape the side stand on hwy 120 coming out of Yosemite. Some of the best twisties in the world, five miles of nothing but hairpins.

Grand Canyon was very nice this time of year. Sunny, but not too warm. It was a bit hazy this time around. When I was here in November 2010, it was cold and crisp, which was better for photography. I shot all the Grand Canyon pictures with the Canon S95. There are a few more here.

We camped at the last campground before heading out the Eastern exit of Grand Canyon. It was very quiet at night, with the Milky Way out in full bloom. I was fully intent on getting up at the crack of dawn to take sunrise pictures, but the first time I peeked out of my sleeping bag it was just before 7 am.

If you want a super-sized picture from Grand Canyon, click hereto download it.

From Grand Canyon, we headed towards Zion National park in Utah. On the way, we came through Marble Canyon, which was a nice surprise as we'd been a bit sloppy planning our route. However, we're in a part of the world where it's hard to find a road you don't thoroughly enjoy.

We stopped in Vermillion, just past Marble Canyon for lunch and then crossed the valley floor. The shot below looks back at where we came from.

Mt. Carmel was the stop for the night, from where we will start a leisurely ride along a lot of the national parks in Utah, starting with Zion National Park.