View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #70
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
Well, here I am reporting back... The small rolie bags (10L) are small... perhaps too small. The rackless mount is easy enough to setup, but in the ideal position, it blocks the seat catch. By that I mean that the section of the mount that sits on the tail, sits over a portion of the seat, making easy on/off of the seat problematic. I need to play with it a bit more before I "trail test" it.

Hey, Finn - [another] nice vid. I'm curious to know what GPS that is? I'm looking for a decent trail-riding GPS. Don't really need anything that tells me how to get places, just something that is good with topo maps and easy to use with gloves on.
I was concerned about that rack-less mounting, it looked like it was too far forward and on the seat too much. Since it wasn't on a Husaberg I couldn't know.... interesting to see if you can come up with a way to move it back. looking forward to your experiments as I would like to replace the NOT waterproof GL Mojave bag on my tail.

The GPS is a Garmin Montana.
It's pricey, but for ADV riding it does many things no other GPS does, making it very good for us.

10,000 track point limit per track - that's a lot of points compared to the 500 limit found on other popular models, and you can have an almost unlimited tracks in the unit.

It also has the ability to download TOPO and satellite imagery through Basecamp software (on your computer, then transfer) to make an excellent tool for ADV exploring. With the satellite imagery you can see trails and your surroundings detail that is on no maps.... very useful to find alternate routes or a good camping spot off the trail amount other things.

Here's a couple screen shots from the unit showing the imagery:

Here's a TOPO example from when I downloaded 5 miles on either side of the Tour of Idaho 2 track:

Here's the Montana thread with more than you really want to know about the unit:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688775

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 08:41 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote