View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
Narsisco Lopez OP
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
You already proved your intestinal fortitude taking a flame gun to a new set of Safari's. We will all be better off from the outcome no matter which way it turns out regarding... to wrap or not to wrap. And hopefully we will all be a bit more colorful after the final results, including carbon grey, Rally blue and Bright silver.
Venture on and well done.
To be honest, I had the heebie-jeebies when he was heating up the second tank (wasn't even thinking about it when he was doing the first, for some reason). Kept visualizing a flame-up or worse! I had a death-grip on the fire extinguisher!

But, not so much as a spark...

To elaborate, I believe the 3M big brains suggested applying heat first to aid the primer's ability to bond the vinyl's adhesive to the tank's plastic surface.

FYI: The "carbon fiber" gray, white, and blue vinyl that 3M has are BAD ASS. I'll see if I can get my brother to give me some samples to photograph and post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Knowing absolutely nothing about vinyl wrap (but about to get a pair of safari tanks fitted) I was wondering why you didn't take the tanks off to wrap them?

well he was heating them so I assume so that the bolt holes would not move on them maybe?
Like I said above, he prefers to wrap on fixed surfaces for leverage... lot's of pulling and stretching go on and it's preferrable to work on a solid, non-moving surface.
2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure (SOLD!) | 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote