View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #74
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
DAY TWO....cont'd:

So, after passing the weary hikers and managing to not lose anyone to the jaws of the micro-canyon, we rode north at warp speeds on a wide dusty road up to... (I think)....Fredonia and then west to Colorado City, Arizona. I think we got gas in Fredonia and had a good lunch at some cowboy-named restaurant....the burgers were good and the waitress informed us, when asked what there was to do there, "Drink beer..." . We mostly thought that would be one of the things we would invite her to do.

Bob pointed out a restaurant that advertised its "Ho Made Pies" :

...but the road beckoned us.....

It was another hot day...and the road west looked a bit like this....

Kevin mentioned "pink sand dunes" a few times, but didn't seem to think I was correct in suggesting that the area he was referring to was Coral Pink Sands State Park.... http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/coral-pink....

I was convinced I was right when we passed Cane Beds Road on the way to Colorado City. I had been past that park on a previous trip to Baja and also wanted to check it out. My exhaustive pre-ride research had made it clear that the route through Coral Pink Sands Park was what turned into Cane Beds Rd at the parks southern end. I mentioned this to BobZ later and he confirmed my suspicions...

But we were motoring....

Bobby offers a salute:

Somewhere around Colorado City we found a sand road headed north and it wound through hills and curves on sand/dirt/gravel up to the southern entrance to Zion Park. The nose of civilization stuck itself into our ride and we had to deal with a rural/suburban paved stretch up to the park gates. We stayed on the side of the road at th ranger entrance booth ....and Kevin was told...."No park entrance fees this week"....

... and just as we were revelling in the warmth of that news, Travis Two noticed his 950 was losing fuel....he realized his recently filled tanks were enjoying their overflow function and he assured us that once we got moving, the problem would be over.

So there we were at the south entrance to Zion (one of Utah's best parks re: scenery, in my opinion) with nothing better to do than be in awe of the spectacular scenery.

The following pics are barely representative of that beauty....but it's our story and we are sticking to it...

The need for a brief stop was in the shade ...

We continued eastward to the tunnel (which has a few windows carved out of the rock...lower left in pic):

The line-up for one-way through the tunnel was a short wait:

On the east side of the tunnel, it wasn't long before we were out of the real majestic stuff. I was concerned about my gas so we stopped at a tourist trap shop. It took the clerk about 15 minutes on the phone with the boss to figure out how to sell me some gas....I was a bit impatient with her but managed to sort it all out...

This stop offered a solution to a few problems: We weren't sure where we would camp that day and across the road seemed to be a campsite....Kevin and a few others rode over to check it out and came up with several options, each getting progressively better than the one before. BobZ had apparently been having some 690 problems and wanted a place with shade to work on his bike....

We ended up with a primo location.....

A workshop :

Mechanical guidance...

The plot only thickens at this point....more on that soon...

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote