Old 05-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #49201
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Mutha Fucking Night Riiiide.... update

Zach and I spec'd out the route today.

63 miles as GPS indicates (74 as my odo indicates, so take your pick). It took us 2 hours but we were stopping a lot to take notes. I'd reckon 3.5 - 4 hours would be a good time estimate in the dark and with a group of 5 or so riders.

22 miles of that is paved, which is more than I would have guessed, although it is all short connector stretches. The longest bit is 4.9 miles which will either be the first thing we ride or the last. The shortest bit is a few hundred yards. The balance is dirt, gravel or abandoned dirt roads.

The route will be a loop from Danville, back to the starting point. Gas will only be available at the start and end due to time of day. The Lyons Den BP is a pretty well stocked convenience store so there will be food and beverages available, too.

We deleted all off road portions except one 1 mile bit through farmers' fields (with permission), and one un-unimproved portion of the unimproved portion of the Mohican Valley Trail as I think the rest might be too technical in the dark. As it is, I think Stone Quarry and similar will be a real challenge in the dark, and a lot of the gravel roads have unmarked corners and such which will be interesting at midnight.

There are two minor water crossings and a old railroad bridge which is decomposing quite nicely but should support most of us. Whitey goes last.

Other than that, I think based on the dust today, you'd be smart to wear goggles and a dirt helmet, and bring a rag and some glass cleaner.

I will have a first aid kit, electric air compressor, metric tools, 21" tube, and some repair items (wire, wire ties, etc.).

Last little blurb: Meredith and I are riding it again tomorrow, in reverse, so if anyone wants to come they are welcome to do so. It's fun but not really challenging in the daylight, and we will not be deviating from the route since I want to get a feel for it as it runs in reverse.
So I'm assuming you and Whitey are going to shoot and bury the Go-Pro'ers in an undisclosed location?
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 03:00 PM
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote