Thread: The F800GS Seat
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #249
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Thumb Mr.Ed'sMoto

I rode up to Don & Deb Weber's businesses (http://www.mredsmoto.com/mredsmoto.htm and http://www.mredsmoto.com/premiermotogear.htm) in Albany, Oregon to get a seat made for my F650GS. Don has been making custom motorcycle seats since the 1960s so he's knows a thing or two about them. He does two ride in seats a day on a regular basis and mail in orders from all over the U.S. as well. He's booked up until the end of June if that says anything about the quality of his work and popularity. He has many repeat customers. Deb's store is pretty impressive, too; great displays with a lot of quality inventory with a good women's selection. Deb is very knowledgeable about what she carries, how it fits, etc. They do a lot of tire mounting & balancing and some servicing as well. All in all a pretty impressive operation in the small town of Albany.

It took Don about 5 hours to make my seat. We did a lot of sit on, trial, error and feel before deciding on the final configuration. He raised the front a bit so as to eliminate that sliding forward sensation and made an enlarged butt pocket just where I wanted it, adding about 6" in width for the pocket. He used two different types of foam to make a foundation and reshape the seat. Before making the cover I rode around the neighborhood a bit to be sure. Although he has a lot of different materials and colors I had Don make my seat cover with some black naugahyde fabric that looks just like the OEM stuff.

It was quite something to watch Don working on the seat. He gave it a lot of care and consideration and is very skilled with the various tools and techniques he employs. He's quite the craftsman and his commitment to satisfying his customers is obvious. He likes what he does and it shows in his work habits and products. Even with the care and effort that went into fitting and making the seat one never knows until you get back out on the road for a few hundred miles. After two days and 750+ miles riding home, I think Don nailed it.

I have had quite a few custom seats over the years and think that it is the way to go if your are looking to improve your seating situation. And a ride in is really the answer if you can arrange it, no matter who you choose to do the job. Considering the price of aftermarket pre-made seats that are, after all, one size fits all (TT, Wunderlich, Sargeant, BMW and others) a custom made, ride-in seat is worth it.

No affiliation, etc.