View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #86
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 1,075
Thumb Calling Boulder

Moving swiftly on, I had a date to keep in Boulder, Colorado, meeting uo with fellow travellers.
Another overnight stop on the way with Ryan and Robin in Des Moines and an ecstatic reception from Jed the dog. What can I say Robin...your food was divine from the parmigiana for dinner to the french toast with homemade berry butter in the morning. It was difficult to drag myself away..
I'd better point out that we didn't just eat while I was there, we also did some cultural stuff It's true, Tiff did culture AND enjoyed it, take a look at these pictures
the city by night

a night tour of an unusual sculpture garden in the middle of the city, including this sinister-looking overcoat and the spiders lurking in the background

my favourite sculpture

and then I went inside and found my initials amongst the hundreds of combinations of letters that make up the structure (yep, it's THAT big)

I headed west across more states that are new to me including Nebraska, which in places was a bit dry looking

Then I reached Kansas, a lot of straight roads there as well, and are those storm clouds ahead of me?

Ignoring the clouds, I found a suitable spot to camp, it's a bit tricky in such a flat landscape trying to stealth camp

Having fun riding the farm tracks of Kansas

After all the flat stuff I reached the stateline into Colorado and the Rockies started looming in the distance, or at least they should have been apparently, but it started to drizzle with rain and grey clouds closed in, there was no sign of the mountains until I reached the foothills themselves. I made my way up to Boulder.
Chris Ratay, looking every bit the adventure motorcyclist!!!

He and his wife Erin were my hosts in Boulder- I'd had a long-standing invitation to visit them ever since our near-miss meeting in Brazil 10 years ago when we were all on the road at the same time.

Whilst in Boulder, I also had the opportunity to meet up with and thank Shelly, the star who collected Thelma from Mexico and smuggled (ahem) transported her over the border back to America for me. Shelly rides a KLR and is an expert on Copper Canyon she's promised to take me for a ride round down there next time I travel through.
We had a fantastic lunch at the Dushanbe Tea House in downtown Boulder, it's an authentic teahouse transported from Tajikistan...and looking every inch the part. I kept looking around me with wide eyes, recognising different features as I sat there, enjoying the surroundings and discussing travel through Tajikistan with Shelly.

Here she is, heading off on her KLR.

My stay was all too brief, it was time to hit the road again.

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is online now   Reply With Quote