Finally got to installing it on friday night and as envision made the job of aligning the timing marks SO much easier.
Before going any farther, I loosely installed the starter motor to see what the clearance was there.
No dice. The Acorn nut at the end wasn't allowing the press fit starter to seat.
So I cut 8.6mm (.34 inches) off the end and removed the acorn nut, but left the smaller locking bolt.
I was then able to find the clearance I needed (barely). There enough room to back the adjuster out .3 inches, but I needed to used a small wrench and some small piece of rubber to protect the threads in order to adjust it.
I left the small adjuster as an option on in the case I needed to used to larger main lock nut to lock to the smaller for fine tuning adjustments.
Mark, because of the starter clearance issue, it might make sense to either machine flat .25 at the end of the threaded nut so that a wrench can used for leverage.
Or drill it (safety wire style at the 12 and 6 postion/ and 3 and 9 positions) so that a small pin can be used to gain leverage to adjust the bolt in and out.
Putting the bike back together was an exercise in focus. When going to refill the radiator, I forgot to connect a small hose and was rewarded with a coolant overflowing from the end of the temperture sensor hose.
After that I bolted everything back, and put the gas tank back on, I fired it up. I was worried something was going to sieze or that I messed something up, but it seems to run fine. I started messing with the adjuster and could hear the the engine going from a "tick" to a "clack" when backing out the adjuster. Tuned it by ear where I felt the sound transition over and locked it there.
Have a ride in a couple of weeks, so I'm leaving everything as is for now, I'll only need to adjust once every blue moon, so I'm fine with this solution.