View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #26
Torquemada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Resurecting an old post. I had someone mess with my return cable tension adjustment so I had to find a way to set it all on the road. Hopefully this is helpful. Experts will chime in if it isn't I'm sure. Hopefully with some technical detail.

I referenced the video above from sabink and it would seem I got it right. In fact I'd say it's less fussy than before. I focused on paying attention to the unique sound the throttle stepper motor makes at position 0. To get a better feel for that I looked very closely at the throttle grip for when it moved (like 1mm back and forth) and stop it just at that moment.

WARNING: IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH DOING THIS, DON'T. TAKE IT TO YOUR DEALER. YOU DON'T WANT TO DAMAGE THE THROTTLE STEPPER MOTOR.

SETUP
1. Handlebars straight ahead.
2. Ignition key OFF
3. Emergency cutoff switch OFF
4. Ignition key ON

LOOSEN CABLES FOR ADJUSTMENT
5. Loosened both cable adjusters appropriately. Not too much that they would be pushing against each other at the throttle cam.

POSITION THE SERVO MOTOR WITH EMERGENCY CUTOFF SWITCH
6. Emergency cutoff switch ON
7. Listen closely to servo motor sound and switch to OFF. Repeated 4 and 5 until I was sure.

RETURN CABLE ADJUSTMENT
8. With right hand roll throttle grip to closed position
9. With left hand tighten return cable adjuster (front) just until I feel it pull the throttle cam.
10. With left hand loosen return cable adjuster (front) about 3/4 to 1 turn.
11. Let go of the grip and tighten the backup nut on the return cable adjuster.

THROTTLE CABLE ADJUSTMENT
12. Tighten the throttle cable adjuster (rear) to spec (3 to 5mm) as per the owners manual.

FINISHING PROCEDURE
13. Ignition key OFF.
14. Emergency cutoff switch ON
15. Start it. Ride it.

TEST RIDE AND FOLLOW-UP ADJUSTMENT
It might seem like overkill but I then rode it for the first couple miles smoothly rolling on and off the throttle in the first couple gears to make sure everything was alright and give the bike ECU a chance to learn or complain, stall, cough, backfire, whatever. It rode fine but a few miles later I needed a little more slack taken out of the throttle cable so I repeated steps 1-4,6-7,12-15 again to get it.

Like I said it responded great after I performed all of the above
Torquemada is offline   Reply With Quote