SOFTWARE - HOW TO UPDATE (New Information Added to Reflect Release of version 4.10)
Always ensure you have a completely charged battery when doing updates - the last thing you want is your gps battery giving out halfway through the update, which could "Brick" your gps.
In case your update doesn't quite go as planned, it's a really good idea to back up the data on your gps.
- Connect your gps to a computer via USB cable
- Using Finder on the MAC or My Computer in Windows, navigate to X:\Garmin
- Copy everything to a directory (c:\Montana Backup or similar) on your computer or backup drive
After you back up, you're ready for the next step:
If you used any Beta releases, before running WebUpdater check the gps and uSD card and remove any gupdate.gcd files.
DRTBYK's advice on the best way to update your GPS.
- Set the Profile to Recreation
- Shutdown the Montana and and do a Master Reset. Upon reboot and before selecting the Language option, Power Off.
- Plug unit into computer and using WebUpdater, install latest release.
- Power On unit and allow new software to install.
- Once unit is booted up and language options selected you can set the Profile to whatever you normally use.
As with all other Garmin units, you would use Garmin WebUpdater
. Garmin released version 4.10 on May 25, 2012, and this version is the first official release in a very long time.
Beta releases are never distributed through WebUpdater.
Some people stay away from Beta releases - one version in early 2012 actually "bricked" some people's Montanas, but Garmin pulled that release, and replaced those bricked units quickly. I generally update to the latest Beta release soon after it is published, but not until I check with a couple of sites where issues with Beta releases are likely to be reported very quickly. The GPS and Technology forum on the Groundspeak
site is one such place. There is almost always an immediate thread discussing software releases, including Beta releases for most models. Click the link below for the latest Beta release.
You can download the latest Beta update here.
But don't bother; 4.10, the official release is the latest and best, for the moment.
Please do not reply in this thread...
If you want to discuss the Montana, go to the humungous thread called Laying Down Tracks/New Garmin Montana