View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #27
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 943
That could provide you enough clearance from starter motor if the bolt were cut to the length of the threshold of the OEM maximum adjustment. The formula being:

(length OEM adjuster juts into case (51.5 mm) + thickness of your housing + locking bolt height + length of additional thread needed for tire valve stem cap + maybe 1-2 threads to compensate for the depth of your slot)

With this formula. As soon as the tire valve stem cap cover interfaces with the adjuster bolt, you know you've hit the maximum end of the adjustment for the tensioner and your chain is no longer adjustable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Got it covered. I'm going to slot the bolt end so it can be finger tightened with a flat blade screwdriver, then a plastic cap put over the end (tire air valve stem cap) to try to keep the slot from rusting. I know the bolt should NEVER be tightened to the point where the slotted end would not work, so that's the plan at this point.

Thought of it while on the road coming back from Springfield. Incredible races both the TT and THE MILE. Talked briefly with Henry Wiles, what a great kid. Reflected in his comments and just the look in his eyes when talking about the races. I thanked him for them putting on a good show in the races. He then took a moment to talk with us about the races. We said something about the track (great) and the heat (hot). He commented about feeling a breeze on the front straight and feeling the wind push a bit on the back straight. Then he asked us if we were at the TT and we said yes. He commented about how great the races were and if we enjoyed them. Of course we did then we asked about the tightness of the track and about Peoria. He had total enthusiasm describing it and all. Odd thing, he never once commented about his results at the TT - he won - or his record at Peoria - won seven of the past eight races 04-06 and 08-11 - just the enthusiasm about the tracks and the races. No ego massaging needed, all enthusiasm.
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote