View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #45
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,390
May 24, 2012 - Monument Valley was the prime target of the day. I'd been through it on a few occasions, but only once by motorcycle, so it was somewhat novel. Before we got there, we took a quick side trip to the Moki Dugway, billed as a scary, twisted, steep and gravelly road surface where you are virtually assured to get vertigo, especially when teetering on the edge as the bike plows through the gravel.

As we ascended to the top of the plateau, we were still awaiting the scary parts when suddenly the road turned from gravel to pavement. The views were breathtaking, but the scare factor is highly overrated. Nonetheless, the side trip was worth it. As we descended, a big 4x4 towing a trailer and a boat rumbled past us, despite the posted warning signs.

From atop the Moki Dugway, you can see Monument Valley.

Monument Valley seemed smaller than the last few times I went through it, but its beauty is still unmistakable.

We pushed on to Flagstaff, AZ, for the night. I wanted to get off the bike as I hadn't been feeling too well the last few days and I was looking forward to a riding pause. Tomorrow is a short hop to Scottsdale, AZ, where we will be staying with a friend of mine for a few days.