View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #75
peekay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
The Baja Incident Part I: Prelude

(Prelude)

It was August, and the Baja desert in August is very, very (very!) hot.

My original "plan" (dream) was to solo ride around the world. First stage, Canada to Argentina (just like that.) Then ride through Africa from Cape Town to Egypt. Naturally, Europe, Russia and Mongolia would be next; or maybe Iran, Pakistan and India?

Then there's Southeast Asia, and no RTW would be complete without Australia and perhaps New Zealand.

Finally, (in this dream), I would ship the bike to Alaska, then finish the trip heading east -- triumphant -- Ewan & Charley style. Really, it's all very simple.

The bank account said otherwise.

Being a gadget freak, however, contemplating a solo trip through so many remote & desolate places was my excuse to acquire a satellite phone. I researched different systems and selected an Iridium 9555.

Iridium 9555 (photo courtesy Iridium, LLC)

These phones are rather expensive. After more research I opted for a refurbished unit from Outfitter Satellite. The phone arrived like new and I was happy to save $$$.

Anyway, back to San Felipe and the searing Baja desert.

My Iridium phone doesn't have internet connectivity but can send SMS text messages to email addresses. The nerd that I am, I decided to spend an extra day in San Felipe to program a Twitter "gateway" so I can send "tweets" (and Facebook status updates) using the phone.

Now I can tweet from my satphone. I could be useful, say, during emergencies. (cue dramatic foreshadowing music)

Part II tonight...

Canada to Argentina (in progress)

peekay screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 05:21 PM
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote