View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #2901
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,384
Well BMWzenrider, I am no Bueller, but I would like to basically just post up what I wrote to you, here so that others who might want to know more about how having the IICE Air on a 1150GS DMC sidecar performs.

This starts with the question on what has been my experience with the IICE Air on my Hack. Here is my altered answer made for better public consumption:

To tell the truth I had a 37:11 FD gear swap and a sintered clutch put in at the same time as the IICE Air. So some of the bang I feel is the ability to start on a steep hill with a full load and just crawl up the hill if I want. I can't tell you how good that feels! I just love the 37:11 on my 6 speed transmission. I can still do 90 with a full load.

I can tell you that it starts really well now. Every time. I have only killed it when it is was a cold start about 2 times and I attribute that to not having the new sintered clutch bedded in yet. It used to be that when it died cold, that I couldn't start it right back up with out it flooding a bit. Now I can get it started right up. My GS is a cold starting bike and now, for whatever reason, it starts and idles great. Over 117,000 sMiles and counting. (not all with the hack though)

With low RPM and a constant (as my hand can be) throttle, it's smoother now than before. I can feel a smoothness in the acceleration that was not there before. It feels stronger maybe? And I am not talking about the FD gears, I'm talking about when I make little changes in the throttle, I can feel it as a smoother transition. 1st gear and just idling along is now fun! I unplugged it this last weekend and it surged when I rode the same way on the same road at the same speed. If I had been riding it as I normaly do, (Hard as hell)I didn't really have a surging issue per se, but under low rpm and a higher gear than I should have been in, I could feel a slight surging. It never bothered me until I got the Hack installed. Is it the extra weight? More friction with the car tire conversion? I don't know. And to tell the truth, I don't really care. It runs and performs better than stock and that is what is important to me.

A blind man could hook it up. Heck, I have a TBI and CRPS and on Morphine 24/7 and I even figured it out. It's crazy how flipping easy this mod is for our bikes/hacks.

I used to race, and I am very good at throttle control. I know how to be smooth AND fast. And I think because of that I can feel the subtle changes that a lot of people I know don't. If a person was a bit jerky with the throttle they might not get as much of the feeling, but I feel that it would still be doing what it is supposed to be doing. And as each module comes out, I think we will start to see how it all works together, better.

Is this something that will blow your socks off? Nope, not going to happen. If you are looking for some subtle changes, like maybe better starting, less or smoother surging issues and/or smoother as you roll on the throttle. Well then, take the leap. More things are coming down the pike and I for one hope to be able to see them all come to life. If not, then I hope the next person who gets my rig will understand what it is and gets to enjoy it as much as I did. I guess what I am trying to say is that, this is just the start. Though this can be used as a stand alone part, the parts coming after will make it all work even better. I vote get one if you haven't, there will always be a buyer for it if you don't like it.

I sound like a salesmen for Poolside! LOL I'm not in anyway. I am just a satisfied customer.

I am glad you got 2 of them BMWzenrider. I personally don't think you will be disappointed.

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6