View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #19
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,625
Last Wednesday 5/30/12 was a picture perfect day so I just had to get out for a few hours. I noticed the ATOR was a chapel in Green Cove that I had not seen and being a little familiar with that area, that seemed to be a neat thing to attempt. I was a little short on time since I figgerd this was a good 100+ miles each way for me. Most of the following pics are taken on the roll so not very good camera work but maybe some of you may find this a neat route to take.
I hit the Appalachian Highway (74) about 20 minutes from my Haywood Co. home.

Balsam Gap

I'll pass up the next couple exits looking for 28 north near Nantahala

This is it (28N)

Next I hit 143 (Sweetwater) to Robbinsville

The quilt squares add a nice touch to old barns. There is a map of these that you can use to explore and locate all the ones registered.

I'll go see Joyce another time, continuing on the Cherohala looking for a dirt road. I have this thing to myself...wow! How neat is that..the advantages of being semi-retarded.

Here is that gravel

Maybe 25 minutes down to the river( I know the road so check your maps...I took the first right and then the next left I think...several ways to get down to that area) then left to this( Green Cove Store and Motel)

Not too far away I found this...easy...take the next right after the store and follow the signs to the tabernacle.

Here is the pond nearby and this old fellow has it all figgered out. He is sitting in the shade, his pole is out on the end of the dock in the sun, and the fish are doing all the work I wanted to go ask him about his fishin' theory but my time did not allow such today and I wanted to explore the rest of the road to Hanging Dog.

Back on the main River Road, there is some easy pavement until you pass the hatchery, then I found a section that was pretty steep with switchbacks and front wheel trappin' washes across the road. I made it up that well enough with the big bike but I must have screwed up the setting on my camera so my pics of the rough road did not take.
Anyway, It was rough enough to shake my left mirror loose from its lock nut so I just threw it in a case rather than fool with diggin' out the tools. Here the road is fine again...and nice views on my way to hanging Dog and Murphy.

Left here takes you to main street Murphy in a while then it was back on the big road home.

Back home I guess I figgered pretty close, 232 miles round trip.

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 10:15 PM
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote