View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #74
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 369
I decided I'd better start practicing night riding, so Fano and I went out to 5 mile pass yesterday evening. The plan was to start riding no later than 8:30 in order to give us enough time to make it to eureka and before the gas station closes at 10pm. Well it was about 8:55 when we finally got on our way with a new plan of skipping some of the slower single track in order to make up time. So much for that. We ended up on a dirt road we thought would get us to the main road but we just ended up on a two track that kept snaking us in and out of the cedars. Finally we hit the paved road into eureka and it was 10:10. Oh well, we decided to at least still get to the town so as to have bearings on how to get back. We pulled up to the dark and closed gas station to assess the fuel situation and I still had at least half a tank, and we figured Fano did as well, so we pushed on back to 5 mile. The trip back was uneventful but fun and at about 1 mile from the truck Fano had to switch to reserve. We got done about midnight and did 77 miles.
This was my first time riding at night off road and although it was enjoyable I could see my self getting into big trouble with the dust and limited visibility. Numerous times I found myself riding too fast and leaving the trail when all of a sudden there was a turn that was not seen. I was just following one bike and it was hair ball so I can only imagine what getting passed by trophies trucks will be like.
My new goal for August besides just finishing is beating the dark.
Thanks dumb girl for the use of your light.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339101349.314506.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  52.5 KB
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote