View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #32
jar944 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Jar944 - I always love your build threads as they do a lot of what I wish i had the skills to take on. Congrats on putting together some fun projects

Very interesting to hear that there was not that much real weight savings with this project over the RFS. I always complain about my 4 strokes seeming a lot heavier than the two strokes I used to race. +1 on the CR500's not being scary but just huge torque monsters. I'm a girly 140 pounds and raced one in an enduro twice and it was so torquey it was like cheating. For 3/4 of the race i thought it was all peaches and cream, not until I got tired in the last 1/4 of the race did the cr500 become too much.

Can I ask how much of a real world improvement you found in your RFS hybrid projects in terms of handling? Did it flick side to side (like threading it fast through 1st and 2nd gear tree's) any better? What were the key benefits you found to doing that upgrade? I've got a 2010 set of forks to bolt on the RFS if I want and wondering if the frame contributes that much additional benefit to the overall package? Or maybe the later model suspension is the key component providing the benefits.

I'm asking as I've got a TR570 like you and wondering if its worth the bother to do it or just take it in the ass buying a 2nd hand 500exc in a year if all the FI problems can be dealt with enough for me to ride it on long multi week rides in a third world country like my RFS does.

Again great job on the build!!

Justin
Justin, Thanks for the compliments on the builds. I've always enjoyed the fabrication side as much as riding. Since I moved out of the country and into the suburbs I have a lot less riding opportunities, so i spend more time in the garage building.

Regarding the RFS hybrids, no they are not any more flickable than a std RFS. I think that flickability has to do with the motor placement and gyroscopic effect of the engine. Neither of those change on the hybrid. The area that really improved was the turning & handling of the chassis. It goes exactly where you point it, never washes out and generally inspires more confidence for me than the RFS ever did. The suspension action is considerably better than anything on a rfs, but most of that is likely the improved forks and shock.

I was thinking of a 500 myself, but like you the FI issues and lack of ability to unlock the ecu made me change my mind.

-Jared
jar944 is online now   Reply With Quote