View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #24
rdwalker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Yeah, if you keep the OP updated, I'll keep the map updated so I don't have to hunt through the thread. Deal??
Absolutely! DEAL! Thanks for chipping in. I added a date of update in the OP, to let you know what is the new stuff.

In the meantime, I checked out two places in South-West Catskills (Sullivan County) this weekend. One very nice as a motorcycling destination, the other one, a possibility.

1. -----------------

I stayed overnight in a very nice country inn: Lanza's, http://www.lanzascountryinn.com/, on a back road near Livingston Manor, NY. This would be an almost perfect place: cool (temperature-wise) pub downstairs for drinks, pretty white-tablecloth restaurant for fancier dinner later. They have a barn in the back, used for group events (benches, tables, Christmas lights). They invited me to park the bike there: nice, paved and dry.

The place is like the "quaint" New England B&B's, impressively clean though. Food very good, not expensive. Proprietors went out of their way to be hospitable. Some minor quibbles: bring your own shampoo and bring 2-prong adapters if your gear needs it: the outlets have no grounds. Poor cell coverage in the area; Wi-Fi, though promised in brochure, was not operational.

The real potential gotcha: no A/C. I don't know how that plays out in the summer conditions there.

On the other hand, fabulous moto roads in the area.

2. -----------------

In the same area, Roscoe, NY: Tennanahh Lake Golf resort, http://www.tennanah.com. I did not stay there, but walked through the property. "The Inn" is a motel-like facility, seems OK for a rider. It books full in season, early reservations are needed. The restaurant, in the golf course pro shop, is your standard casual place - note: open only Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Surprisingly, I did not see a bar.
Warning, if the Inn is fully booked, you may be offered a stay in their condos. These are about 2 miles away by road from the restaurant, definitely not walking distance.

Bottom line: a lukewarm endorsement. This place will do for riders, especially a larger group.
But, if you can swing it, try elsewhere, like Lanza's above.

rdwalker screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 07:39 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote