View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #58
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
You forget an LSD, the Limited Slip Differential! My AWD car had an LSD in the center and rear, so unless both rears and a front were off the ground, it still drove.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscous_coupling_unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
I common automotive terms, AWD means the engine is driving all 4 wheels all the time, as opposed to 4WD, in which the front drive can be disconnected, like in some trucks. I guess you could say the Christini is 2WD instead of AWD because the front drive can be disconnected with the handle bar lever. But just because the front is underdriven does not mean it isn't 2WD. This is actually one of the advantages of the Chrisitini system because it allows the bike to turn better with some rear wheel slip, until it needs the front assist.

And I don't understand why you think that the front wheel suddenly engaging will cause a crash? In my experience it is just the opposite. When drifting the bike on a loose surface with the power full throttle and the back wheel begins to break away, the front begins driving and actually stops the bike from low siding. It doesn't really matter what you call it, it works!! I am in the process of gearing up the front drive to get more pull from the front tire sooner. I also have finished adapting my supermoto wheels to the bike, so it will be interesting to see how it works on pavement and dirt with street tires. Here is an article written by a World Supermoto racer who tested a Christini SM bike and liked it a lot:

http://www.christini.com/wp-content/...-Supermoto.pdf

Dude, you are on! Right on!

The only reservations I have is when you take away the larger front hoop that lets the over-run dis-engage and as you correctly say "allow the turn-in"...

Now replace the front with a diameter that closer matches the rear and technically the two will be fighting or close (in rotation) for drive, front V. rear...

No big deal, not pooing on Christini... I just think new pilots on Supermoto type rigs need to be aware of this before they get real aggressive in their backing-it-in.

It can be argued that hydroplaning has almost if not the exact effects (seat of the pants on the bike) as backing it in. In a straight line, you're golden.

Now introduce steering angle, a f/r traction bias... Now add power, and the results could be an offy.

If the Christini had a diff between the front and rear, transitions in traction and power would be seamless. But as said a wheelie would stop it... And a center ltd slip or Viscous coupler might not work out on a motorcycle.

Clarification: For North America, most of the Supermoto tracks are 100% paved. In Europe, it's prolly opposite.

Pavement only, I don't think the thing will work or be worth the money at all and I think it's popularity would be placebo.

Link backs up my opinion as well.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 03:16 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote