View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #215
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Day seven

DAY SEVEN:

We had left Mesquite a week ago...we had not really even seen the Grand Canyon yet as we were so busy tripping through all the drainage areas that lead to it....skirting the Canyon's edges, one might say.

Bobby and I were the last ones out of the motel parking lot....poor Bobby had been kick-starting the XR 650 for a week....and his right shin was sporting a goose-egg that looked like a painted Ukrainian Easter egg....proof that the footpeg is located far too close to the bottom arc of the kickstarter. He was kicking that mother for about 20 minutes before his tears, obscenities, and prayers led the Honda to burp into consciousness for another day .

Today we would ride through Navajo country in search of The Edge....

The day was overcast and occasional light rain kept the dust down.

About 10 minutes south of Page, several guys were ahead of me on the paved hiway...and I noticed something shiny sliding towards me down the road....and Bobby seemed to notice it too. As we slowed down, we recognized this mysterious object as something that had a striking resemblance to a kick-start lever...

Bobby and I pulled over....Bobby retrieved the kickstarter, and before long it was determined that Dan's bike was continuing to shed parts First, his side stand....then pieces of his elbow and wrist, now this leprous contribution

He shrugged and packed it away....nothing seemed to phase this guy. Steady guy....a quiet man who values his family and friends....with never a complaint.

Before too long Kevin led us off the pavement westward towards the Grand Canyon. We passed a few ranchers in their trucks before meandering through doubletrack that was either rutted and wonky, gravelly and loose, or hard-packed red sand that begged to be whipped with the twist of your right hand. For a few hours, Kevin took us to various viewpoints overlooking the GC.

The Grand Canyon certainly is a stupendous phenomenon....you can stand and gaze at it for long periods of time, and it still only sinks into your mind a bit at a time.....

We were riding the range again...: happayand loving it.

The wild horses played along with us ...and when we came across small herds of cattle, noticed that even they would run along beside us jumping like spring lambs discovering that their legs worked

The high prairie had a lot of ways to go to get there...

And before you thought that Kevin is lost....he led us to some fantastic places again...

Dan....

It's a long way down to the first bounce...

The roads connecting various outback canyon views sometimes offered up some good fun...

Dr. Dave on his custom XR400...

Video Link: http://bobzilla.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/giantloopgrandcanyon2012/22765589_355C9X#!i=1853347519&k=gC8LMtG&lb=1&s=A

Making dust in the damp dirt....

A momentary regroup...

And then off for more vistas...

One of the gang living dangerously...

Bobby knows no fear....(except shin pain)...

We tried to talk Bobby into seeing if his Go-Pro and secondary camera could record his experiment of seeing if his riding jacket could function as a wing suit if he jumped....but he was content to just kick rocks over the edge.

Dr. Dave was thinking....."I will jump if you guys want me to...!"

So they had to restrain him...

Our fearless Trail Boss, Kevin......eyes closed in concentration with the difficult task "at hand"...

And then trying to figure out if he is anywhere near the Grand Canyon

What could be cooler?

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote