View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #216
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
After another regroup after the last Canyon vista and we continued south and Kevin led the way to the hiway leading to Cameron for a gas stop...

The skies lightened up as the afternoon introduced itself. We wound our way past a traditional Navajo hogan ranch that appeared to be a sheep ranch. A woman outside clearly was unhappy to see us out there and she replied to my friendly wave of acknowledgement with the thumbs down gesture.... If looks could kill...

I felt bad for the intrusion....but our intentions were honourable.

We gassed up in Cameron and headed southwest hoping to find a place to camp near the south rim somewhere. The road up through more Navajo land was on rolling gravel roads that before long started to gain altitude. With that, the wind was picking up and the temperature was falling. More friendly running horses and gamboling cows kept us company up to some relatively uninviting terrain that eventually led us back down to the highway leading from Cameron to the South Rim. Our fearless Trail Boss looked around, looked at his GPS, and then read my mind...."Let's go back to Cameron and get a room!" We all saw the deep wisdom in his suggestion and it took us about 1/2 hour to see if they had rooms left.

The pavement offered a quick trip....

We were in luck....a great motel that was affordable, a good restaurant, and a large store with everything a tourist could possibly want. I would encourage anyone to do an overnight at the Cameron Trading Post.

http://www.camerontradingpost.com/

We washed up, had dinner, and hunkered down into our rooms for the evening. I suggested we get ripping drunk and ride down the wet-sand river bottom gracing the north end of the establishment, but the others all saw the total lack of wisdom in my suggestion. Dr. Dave didn't even offer to jump over the cliff to the wash.....I knew my sarcastic suggestion was seen as another Kitty-Milker stupid comment

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote