View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #67
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Both wheels are NOT under power at all times despite the difference in tire rotations.
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." (Shakespeare)

IheartmyNx, I respectfully and humbly asked you for YOUR definition of "all-wheel drive" ealier, but I don't think you expressed such a definition fully.

Is a CENTER DIFFERENTIAL essential in your definition of an all-wheel drive system? Your previous post suggests to me you think so.

Further, your comments suggest to me you infer "all" must mean "all the time," not merely "all wheels."

Old "four-wheel drive" Jeeps and trucks typically had transfer cases, shiftable to divide engine power between both front and rear wheels (when in "four-wheel drive"), or to send power to the rear wheels only (when in two-wheel drive mode). Though not in four-wheel drive ALL the time, these vehicles were referred to in common usage as, "four-wheel drive" conveyances.

In usage, vehicles with adapative drivetrains powering front and rear wheels dependent upon relative front/rear tire rotation, typically, are called "all-wheel drive" vehicles, within my observation.

I think Christini's characteristics fall more appropriately within the "all-wheel drive" category, although the designation does not mean, to me, both front and rear wheels are powered all the time.

Your lexicon, and you're entitled to your own definition of terms; my perception is no more correct nor valid than yours.

I thought a more meaningful discussion might result from some agreement on the definition of terms. Without such a definition, I think of the proverbial five sightless individuals examining an elephant.

Meanwhile, the Christini does its thing, however we may wish to categorize its drivetrain.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote