View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
NCD OP
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 418
So West Virginia sure does take it unfair share of ridicule, with all of the hillbilly humpin' your sister type jokes. But mile per square mile, I can't think of any state more populated with super curvy seldom driven roads. Of course, this is coming from an Ohio resident - whose state maps often resemble a sheet of graph paper.

So, I did some research.

Turns out, Ohio and West Virginia's roads were conceived and laid out by entirely different methods. After dutifully scouring the state archives, I found compelling evidence of how these 2 neighboring states came up with such different levels of motorcycling bliss:

STATE OF OHIO ROAD DESIGN STUDIOS, circa 1952:

Very serious looking group, hard at work keeping things in order, and easy to navigate.

AUTHENTIC STATE OF OHIO ROAD DESIGN KIT, unearthed near the ODOT HQ in 1973:

STATE OF WEST VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF ROADS AND MOONSHINE, circa 1948:

OFFICIAL STATE OF WEST VIRGINIA ROUTE LAYOUT SUPERVISOR:

Now it all makes sense, doesn't it? While Ohio was busy dividing up everything into squares - those drunk bastards were making routes from point to point while chasin' coon dogs thru the woods. Often in the dark. That's the only logical explanation as to why two points that are 10 miles away from each other takes 30 miles and over and hour to ride between!
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote