View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
I’m planning to ride the ’07 DR650 on this trip. I got it from an inmate in eastern Pennsylvania last weekend and this will be my first ride of any distance on it. The simplicity of this bike is refreshing and I’m quite excited about its lack of radiators, a dry sump, and oil in the frame. If the engine gets too hot to continue, we’ll stop for a snack and a map check. Here’s a photo shamelessly stolen from the previous owner:

It’s been fitted with an Acerbis 5.3 gallon tank, Cycra handguards, a windscreen, 12V power outlet, skid plate, and a bunch of suspension mods. The Dunlop D606’s are nearly shot, but they should hold together long enough to finish this trip. All in all, it appears to be well-sorted and exactly what I've been looking for in a dirt-oriented adventure bike. The route I have mapped out is almost 300 miles (and will likely go over that once side trips are figured in) and should give me a good indication whether or not it will suit my needs over the long term.

It seems most of the DR guys claim a range of around 250 miles with the Acerbis. I haven't ridden anywhere in the lower 48 that would require much over half that range on the road. It's about 100 miles across the Great Salt Desert from Tooele, UT to Wendover, NV on I-80, but the off-road version would take a bunch more fuel. Wonder if 5.3 gallons would be enough for that ride?

ghostdncr screwed with this post 06-15-2012 at 05:31 AM
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote