View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #15
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
The whole idea of "engine makeup" seems kind of goofy to me no matter how good it looks. Blast it with soda or walnut shell to get rid of grunge. Call any remaining imperfections "patina." Painting aluminum so that it looks like aluminum, just doesn't sit right with me. It just feels fake. Even if it looks good to others, I would always know that it's fake and it would bother me.
If that stuff adds any fake color to the aluminum, forget it!

I'd like to have a few words with the idiot who painted the spare set of Royal Enfield Interceptor cylinder heads I bought some years ago.

When I was restoring my Interceptor last year, the plan was to use those heads since they just needed the valves lapped in. The original heads were functional, but the valve guides are quite loose.
I had access to a commercial engine washer (giant dishwasher with a built-in oil skimmer), and put both pairs of heads in it to clean them up.
My old-worn out heads looked fantastic when I took them out. The heads with the good valve guides looked like hell, as the paint had only partially washed off, and was duller looking than the clean metal on the other pair.
So, now I have to get the good heads media blasted before I can use them. I put the bike together with the better looking heads to finish the restore in time for the OVM show in May.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote