View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #62
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
...except the prices you paid to camp. Probably paid too much to eat too.

Seriously $15/night in a third world country for a third world tent site is plenty. Not sure why you would pay at all with that much open space around.
As I mentioned, I was surprised at the price for camping the first night. I'm not sure what your experience has been, but this was my first time in Baja, so perhaps I overpaid due to my inexperience - not really sure. I probably could have found some open space for free, but it wouldn't have been in Canyon de Guadalupe with water from the hot spring piped into my campsite. I'll return to that spot and gladly pay Ernesto $25 again - it was an amazing place and well worth it. Maybe next time I'll have someone to split the cost with, and maybe they'll be a better negotiator too!

The first night at Canyon de Guadalupe was the only night I actually set up a tent. I paid $20 for a cabin at Laguna Hanson that would sleep 6-8 people comfortably, complete with a wood stove for heat. This was on a beautiful lake in a national park high up in the mountains. Once again, well worth it and was definitely $20 better than trying to find some open spot for free up there in the dark. I'd definitely go there again too! Hopefully, I'll arrive a little earlier next time.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote