View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #64
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Finally, a break from the rain!

We'd had a dry day last week but I was having my first lesson on a 'big bike'. It was a Suzuki Bandit I think. It went well and I really enjoyed it. The difference between the Bandit and my Marauder is crazy. Moving from 40mph to 60mph took seconds rather than minutes!

Anyway my next lesson is at the end of the month. I wasn't sure if I'd even go out on my own bike between now and my next lesson as I didn't want it to interfere with my adjustment to the bigger bike. But the sun was out so that idea got dropped as quickly as I'd thought of it.

I left the house with absolutely no idea where I was headed. I would decide on the way.

I wondered if my bike would now feel slow and sluggish compared to the Bandit but in all honesty it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. If anything I was relieved I was on a bike that I could stretch out my legs a bit. The Bandit was comfy enough but the legs-tucked-underneath seating position made my knees stiff after a while.

There were no dramas on the way up. The road up past Loch Lubnaig was quiet which was nice. I usually either have a caravan in front of me that I can't get round or a massive lorry that's going too fast for me to move away from.

Stopped in a lay-by that I don't normally use to get some different photos of Loch Lubnaig. You're allowed campervans etc in the local lay-bys and car parks as long as you don't stay in them overnight, though I'm not sure if cops patrol them to check. There was a family by the loch that looked like they'd been there for a month. Their crap was all over the place as well. I'm guessing it'll still be there after they're away.

This is the southern tip of the loch.

Loch Lubnaig:

I consulted a map and it turns out the water you see in these photos is slowly making its way out of Loch Lubnaig and towards the Forth Bridge. I'd love to know how long it takes to get there. It's the kind of useless trivia I find fascinating.

It was while I was taking these photos that I decided that my destination was Killin. It really is my favourite place to sit down and have my lunch. I was going to stop on the way there to take some photos but I decided to take advantage of the quiet roads and just ride.

Got to Killin, sat on the rocks and had my lunch with the sun shining and the water flowing. Bliss.

Killin:

I slipped on the rocks as I was getting this photo and came pretty close to taking a swim. It looks pretty wild here but this flows into a calm pool so while I wouldn't have drowned, the ride home would have been a misery.

I sat for half an hour or so and headed home. Seemed like the country's biking population had managed to get an early finish from work to take advantage of the weather (a week of rain is now forecast) as having passed only a handful of bikes on the way out, I was now passing countless bikes on my way home.

I seemed to be on my own heading south which was great. Having a road to yourself really is special.

I also had to dodge some old woman who walked out in front of me at the top of my street. She seemed none the wiser.

My Flickr

Matt 82 screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 07:11 PM
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote