View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #53
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 832
Day 12 – You’re late! The long run to Jackson Hole

After packing up at Moab Valley RV Resort we went into town fully loaded up and managed to park in front of the Muffin. Link to the resort: http://www.moabvalleyrv.com/

The Lady at the counter smiled and said, “You’re late!” Compared to normal, we were, and explained why. The food, service and atmosphere were as always great and I can’t imagine even looking for another place for breakfast in Moab the next time. Sadly though, “All good things must come to an end.” Today, for us, was our time in Moab come to an end. Link to the Love Muffin; http://www.lovemuffincafe.com/

The three of us had separate missions to accomplish now and we would be running together for one last day. The most efficient way to get north that I could see was going to be Hwy.191all the way past Flaming Gorge Park and then onto Jackson Wyoming.

Courtesy of Payner.

Courtesy of Payner

We wanted to hit Yellowstone National Park before our paths diverged. It was an ambitious undertaking and would be a long day of mostly boring highway miles. Flaming Gorge is a really nice spot and had some interesting switchbacks coming down the hill. I was perhaps having a little too much fun just before crossing the state line into Wyoming from Utah when a state trooper flipped on his lights just ahead of me. I slowed and he turned them off and carried on, phew! We hit I-80 at Green River, WY and jumped off at Rock Springs, back on 191 north. That stretch was very long, and dull, but improved past Boulder, WY. It actually got fairly cold running through Hoback Canyon and we had (unnecessarily) been
warned to watch for “critters”, as this was an ingrained habit for me.

We had also been warned that it would get cold at night (28 degrees the night before) so we voted for a hotel when we got to Jackson. After a few false starts, looking for a hotel / motel (Pulling in front of the Best Western Jackson Hole and Chris saying; “I hope you have your Gold Card”) and finding No Vacancy signs on a couple of others, we ended up in front of The Virginian of Jackson Hole. Sam and Dean Winchester would have been proud (if you understand that reference) and it was like going back in time.

The price was acceptable and there was a restaurant and bar and the whole enchilada. The severed heads in the lobby and the oversized (button tufted) leather chairs added to the 60’s hunting lodge feel. The outside of the building did nothing to take away from that, nor the wood paneling in the room. The room had 3 Queen size beds and a mini fridge and microwave, explaining the mini-suite designation. It was very clean though and that was all that really mattered.

We would miss the restaurant at the Lodge but had been told of a nice place a block down and across the street that was open late. We cleaned up and wandered over in the failing light of day. The place was very interesting and decorated in an aeronautical theme with large-scale planes from various eras hanging from the ceiling. The speakers boomed out the TV programs at a somewhat obnoxious level, but aside from that it was good. I even managed to get a Hockey update on the Kings, Devils series. The food was nothing to write home about, but OK. The beer was good after a long day in the saddle. Sleep came quick when we returned to our mini-suite. The bikes would be covered in frost the next morning proving our choice of hotel vs. campground a good one.

Video of the Day: http://youtu.be/DLrW_Z11lVc

Lycan1 screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 07:18 PM
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote