View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #68
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,554
Day 13- All Good things

The following morning we packed up and walked over for breakfast at the hotels restaurant before heading north in the chill morning air. I had re-installed all of my cold weather liners in my Revit suit and was glad of that. The ride through the quaint, touristy north end of Jackson Hole was another trip into a by-gone era, and I loved the (most likely) carefully planned look of it. It reminded me of Banff on a much more intimate scale. Not far north we stopped for a few quick (helmet on) pictures of the Grande Tetons, but it is hard to impress people that live beside the Canadian Rockies, as Chris pointed out. The run to Yellowstone gate was picturesque as expected and at our first stop for gas, and souvenirs I bid my fellow adventurers goodbye. We wished each other safe travels and I was gone.

I wanted to give them a chance to actually see the park, which I did not have time to do. I had 2 days to cover the better part of 4 states and part of one province, including today. I had to get after it. The remainder of the trip through Yellowstone was for me an exercise in traffic frustration and for the time spent, a total set back in miles.

I stopped to take 4 pictures the whole breadth of the park and had to suffice with what my eyes and brain could process as I moved (there would be another time and trip). I exited through the Northeast gate and along highway 212 into Montana. A brief stop for food and fuel in Cooke City MT, and I was across Bear Tooth Pass. If I had to pick one pavement highlight from the trip, that would be it, without question! Anyone who knows that pass understands, and if you don’t, get to know it.

After that the story just becomes about making miles across Interstate highways and is uninteresting at best. I managed to go from Jackson Hole Wyoming to Dickinson, North Dakota that day, a distance of over 980 km.

The following day saw me reach Winnipeg, Manitoba and my parents place. I spent the rest of that with family remembering a sister/ a daughter/ a mother gone far too soon from us. The next couple of days and the trip home were somber and personal. The weather fit the tone going home.

"I’m a long way from home, but I know just where I belong. It’s a long way I’m going, but my heart will still carry me on. "Asia; Long Way From Home

When I read ride reports, I find the best ones are ones that explore the human side as well as the geographical. They are the ones that I remember. That in a way is what this report is about, remembering. I was very excited about the trip to Moab and spending time with friends. The trip sadly will always have darker memories associated with it now.

Like a new place, so to with people, we never really get to know them completely. We see what we want, or what they allow us to see. We remember them both - how we want to, and I choose to remember both my sister and Moab very, very fondly, and always will.

Thanks for coming along.
09 KTM 990 Adv

Lycan1 screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 08:51 AM
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote