View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #68
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Yesterday the weather man told us it would be raining today but he apparently changed his tune. It was going to be sunny and cloudy. Well that's pretty much as good as it gets here so I set off.

I would be taking the long way to Inveraray. I would head up past Loch Lubnaig as I usually do and keep going until I reached Tyndrum (home of the Green Welly Stop). There I would swing west and the south to Inveraray before heading home via Loch Lomond.

I had a small moment when I slowed and moved over on the road to allow an ambulance to pass. Some tit thought that that was his cue and zoomed passed me just as I was moving back to the centre of my lane. Good thing I do my lifesavers. I gave him a blast of the horn but got no acknowledgement. Sigh.

The rest of the trip was uneventful thankfully.

I spotted a bit of Glen Ogle that I hadn't stopped at and looked like it would provide some nice photos so I pulled over. After slipping down a load of loose stones I started taking photos.

Glen Ogle:

On the road into Crianlarich there are two lochs; Loch Lubhair and Loch Dochart. They're right next to each other and one flows into the next. From the road it looks like one loch. A while ago I noticed through the trees that there was some sort of ruin on an island on the loch. Turns out it was Loch Dochart Castle. I decided I'd get some photos today. Unfortunately I wasn't 100% on the exact location of the castle so I ended up looking at the wrong loch! By the time I did pass it the view was blocked by a load of lorries so I missed it and I couldn't be bothered turning round to go find it. I'll get it next time.

Loch Lubhair was quite nice though.

Loch Lubhair:

Normally I stop in Tyndrum to stretch my legs but I was feeling good so kept going. I would be heading onto the A85. I had been on this road once before but not in this direction. I wasn't on it long when I spotted a good place to take some more photos.

A85:

The road was empty. I only saw 2 cars the whole time I was on it. It really was great. I saw signs for Inveraray and turned south. I was barely round the corner when I saw a castle. Having lost a castle earlier, I wasn't going to miss out on this one so pulled in. Kilchurn Castle sits by Loch Awe. To get close enough to get decent photos I had to cross a field. This was fine and good at first but the closer I got to the loch the more marshy things got. After negotiating a path through I got to the beach. Was a nice spot. And seemingly a popular one because as well as a dozen or so anglers, there were also remnants of numerous campsites dotted about. I can see why you'd want to spend time here mind you.

Loch Awe:

The road from here to Inveraray was quiet. Sadly, it was also being resurfaced. When I say resurfaced I mean a load of gravel had been spread out all over the road and the cars would press them into the tarmac as they drove over them. This sucked any enjoyment I would have had from the road.

So I arrived in Inveraray and made my way to the car park by the water. I don't think I've seen that car park without a few bikes in it. I sat for about 20 minutes and had my lunch.

Inveraray:

I was heading home along my favourite road. But it wouldn't be a summers day in Scotland without rain. So I got a downpour from Inveraray to the south end of Loch Lomond. Was pretty heavy for a while.

A83 in the rain:

And that's that.

My Flickr

Matt 82 screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 03:15 AM
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote