View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
8trackmind OP
Housebroken Jackalope

Oddometer: 314
Tennessee Plates

You know those epic ride threads with the great writing and awesome photography?
This ain't it.
You’ve seen those colorful people in faraway places on exotic machines interacting with the native indigenous peoples?
This ain’t it.
Have you ever been so intrigued by a soul stirring ride report that you spent an entire evening reading every page?
This ain’t it.
So just what is this longwinded mess?
It’s me blundering through the Tennessee countryside with a camera in one hand, and a peach fried pie in the other.

Read on if you dare but heed my warning; Poor photos, bad grammar, shaky cinematography and ignorance are the only recurring themes…so don’t flame me.
But, what I lack in substance, I hope to make up in sheer volume. Yep, plenty of photos with just enough boring prose to tie it all together...sort of.

Here's what I look like if you ever see me out on your road...

It was a nice day today. 70 ish, overcast, but still nice. Finished up at work early and hit the road. No real plan, but I ended up at the Hatchie wildlife viewing area. (info)
Went down some gravel roads. (my route is the red line)

Lake side photo. (pre crash)

More road

Got some nifty new SW Motech crash bars yesterday. Had no idea I would get to test ‘em so soon! (yeah, right)

The Strom got sleepy and took a dirt nap here: (it was a bit more muddy than I thought)
I've read that they were rather lazy and like to take naps often.
Mine was smart and decided on a nice soft spot to take a snooze.

Easy to see what happend. I was turning around and... Wheel spin, too late, too heavy. Squish. 0.0001 MPH.
Still more fun than being at work

Post crash photo: No broken signals, no damaged side cases, no scuffed plastic, no nothing...I did have to re-adjust the left side mirror, but that was about it.

04-07-2012

I went on/off/on/off roading up in Lauderdale county TN today. I was doing some GPS testing with a crazy route that was based on staying as close to the Mississippi river as possible. Little did I know a good portion of my day would be spent on gravel, dirt, and some interesting (but slippery) pavement hybrids the likes of which I've never seen. Pure fun!
Obligatory poor photography to follow:

Rest area near Ripley, TN.

Picnic area was still decorated for St. Paddy's day I suppose.

Photo op somewhere near a redneck ATV park.

Garmin leading me to hells half acre. (can you say redundant?)

Had no idea this was here. Hmm, wonder whats in there?

And here I thought Illinois Nazi's were bad...

View from Das Bridge.

...and a little further down, Ansel Adams can be seen in the mirror.

I learned to just keep it from 20 to 30 in second gear and let the bike gyrate around on the gravel like a drunken stripper.

No, I didn't go there...

Later on I ended up on Geat river road

I guess so-so river road just didn't have the same ring to it.
This is the Obion river I think.

J.T. and his (her?) Nazi buddy's Kryloned that bridge too...

The always popular "Jet on a stick" in Covington, Tn.

5/1/2012

Near Waverly, Tn:
So you come around this blind corner heeled over at speed and see...

This:

I was on the bridge before I figured out what had just happened. I started laughing out loud in my helmet.
I figured it was all but deserted and so we stopped to check the bridge out. Then a traffic jam broke out. No joke. A couple cars going one way, and three going the other... Over that rickety bridge.

My pictures usually look like crap, this is one of my better efforts.

Bikes resting while we take bridge pictures.

Meanwhile, back in town...

The Pictsweet pickle engine. (just in case you were wondering what it looked like)

5/10/12
Who in blue blazes is Herb Parsons?
...and why does he have a lake?

Here is his lake

While I was there I Terrorized Turtles

Bothered Birds

Fiddled with Flowers

Considered Christmas

Wild young 'Strom in native habitat

"I'll wait here while Jim moves in for a closer look"

Then I remembered that I wasn't Marlin Perkins...and this was not Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.
No, I was someone else...
When I returned to the Bridge, I called out "Plot us a new course Mr. Sulu"

5/28/12

Lakeland, TN

Went to Paris , TN

Decided to go biking AND boating at the same time.

It's not easy

...but we managed

Saw the bridge to nowhere

To be continued:

8trackmind screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 04:41 PM Reason: Doh!
8trackmind is offline   Reply With Quote