View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #15
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,247
GARMIN MONTANA MAP VISIBILITY IN BASECAMP:

(This works for Oregon/Dakota/Colorado/62/78 series gps units as well)

This is an alternate, and probably better way to make your gps maps visible in BaseCamp. As described in the previous post, the maps on your compatible gps should be visible in BaseCamp even if they are not installed on the computer, while your gps is plugged into the computer, but often they are not.

Javawa Device Manager allows you to do many things with your gps, including setting the visibility of your maps in BaseCamp. There is help available in the program, and most of the functions are obvious.

Here's the screen I see when I plug in my Montana and start the program:

If I select "Manage Maps" on the uSD card, Javawa DM lists the maps and shows a number of attributes, some of which you can change, including visibility in BaseCamp, and the map name.

I selected the "Topo Canada Only" map which was not shown as visible in BaseCamp and changed its visibility, as seen below.

I repeated the process for the rest of the maps and now have all the maps set to be visible in BC.

Here's the proof. BaseCamp is now in the process of reading the maps which Javawa made visible. These are large maps so it'll probably take 10 minutes to load those maps.

Done!

Javawa Device Manager can be downloaded for free, without restriction. It works really well, and has a very useful help system built in.

It also is very useful for checking the gps and uSD card for corrupt gpx files, and the Mac version even lets you turn off the "Trash" bin, a component which can cause problems. Check under "Extras" for these elements.

Highly recommended!

And if you do use it, you should consider making a donation to the programmers through their web site.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-20-2012 at 01:57 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote