View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post

You really got me on the riding Tioga in winter. I never knew this could be done. Did this happen by happenchance? Or are you monitoring the Cal Trans site? What gives?

I sure enjoyed the post, looking forward to more shots of the Sierra with summer thunder storms coming. Beautiful work.
I love riding the passes as late as I can in the year, I've never understood the thought that the high country is for summer only. I've often been on one of the passes as the storm is coming in that will close it for winter, usually at some point in November. There's been a few times I've ridden them into December. This last winter was the first time I'd ever had the chance to do it in January, apparently the only time in the roads history. They did close and then re-open with the lack of snow fall. Yes, I watch the Caltrans site close as well as the Yosemite reports. Rode through Tioga this year right after a microburst toppled hundreds of trees like matchsticks, a really awesome display of power.

I watch the weather close as well. I often don't bother with the Sierras in summer on the "good" days, but if I see a storm approaching I make plans. Riding the edge of a summer storm is far more exciting and memorable, and yes sometimes it means putting up with wet, hail or even snow but to me that's part of being IN the scene instead of just looking at it. So you'll probably see a few photos from summer storms this year.

Here's a few from last summer

The view from Monitor pass that everbody knows is so much more spectacular on a day like this

The fire lookout is so much more vulnerable when it's about to be engulfed by threatening thunder heads

From Memorial day weekend one year ago, I knew the storm was coming but I just had to go. I got so caught up in the photo opportunities that by the time I realized the snow was starting to stick it was really time to get down the hill.

Desert Dave screwed with this post 12-08-2014 at 10:50 PM
Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote