View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #1315
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
The same as the upper bolt kit but shorter to fit the lower shock bole. You replace the bearing with the same one the top uses,and use a short 20mm dia bearing steel sleeve over the bolt.

I got both at once because I'd bent 2 top bolts and the lower was just bent enough to make it difficult to extract.

No problems with shock bolts since.

I firmly believe that the Ohlins shock is the culprit. After reviewing video ride footage, I can hear myself talking out loud (as I do to remind myself of things when I watch the video) and I specifically mention the shock blowing through the last part of it's travel in 3 different videos. When It does this it bottoms with a crack. It's hurt your lower back.

I didn't bend a bolt UNTIL I put the Ohlins in. The Ohlins worked better than stock at absorbing trail chop - roots, rocks, sharp steps etc. But it's bottoming resistance is lower in my opinion.

I rode both with a pillion. A heavier spring helped the Ohlins, but it still tended to blow through the last 1/3 of it's travel with relative ease.

I had it revalved and it works perfect now.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote