View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
It's not really possible to do that unless you stick 100% to well mapped roads that are in modern digital maps. If you stick to such roads, you can use Google Maps to make a ROUTE that gives you text directions ("Left", "Right", etc.) as well as mileages. That's a basic roadbook, though it would be missing proper tulip drawings. As soon as you go off on a dirt trail, or even more challenging stuff like open dunes, you're stuck with doing it by hand. There is a new rally roadbook tool being developed that will help with the mileages and a few other things, but it's FAR from being able to take a GPS track file and convert it into a roadbook. How would it know about a hazard such as a washout in a road, or a lone tree that you have to make a turn at? In my view, a good challenging roadbook ride would stay off most well defined roads as much as possible.

Have you tried the iPad app? From past experience, hand writing a route and then converting it to a digital file is a pain in the ass. It looks like the app allows easy sharing of the RB file, you can even email it from the pad.

If the point of the RB is to avoid using a GPS, not sure why a GPS is even in the equation...can you explain that to me? Is it so you can create a road book at home instead of going out and riding it? To be clear, all my routes are in a roll chart format and not all of the routes will show up on a GPS, so I'll need to ride it.

Thank you for your help by the way, much appreciated