View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #20
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 1,018
June 20

Headed N on the BRP and S on NC80 to Marion,NC to meet up with some friends @ noon.

NC80 is a cool road S into Marion I believe they now call it "The Devils Staircase". I've camped N of the parkway on 80 at the Carolina Hemlocks in the shadow of Mt Mitchell a few times. 80 N of 19 over to 226 is treacherous 30 MPH nothing to see there.
From Marion I headed up to Roan Mountain on the border of NC & TN. I had never been there before. The Gardens were in full bloom.

When I returned to camp my neighbors brought me the best meal of my trip. Grilled Steak, Salmon, Tater, Baked Beans and a nice slice of Bread.

I talked and shared with a lot of people this trip, not only at the campgrounds but on the way up Monday the 18th I had stopped in Banner Elk for a snack and chatted with this older retired couple that were out for a walk, just delightful people. At the same stop a female campus security guard stopped and she loves horses, she frequents the Mt Rogers Horse camps many times (where I just camped and toured around the previous couple days). As I saddled up I noticed the parking area was off limits, she hadn't said a word but instead was just as friendly as could be. School was not in session so I guess it was no big deal.
steveb126 is online now   Reply With Quote