View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #26
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 997
June 24

Started out my morning at sunrise with about 30 grateful friends at the overlook just NE of the Pisgah Inn where the Vanderbilts Hunting Lodge once stood.

Packed up and headed for home. Back tracked some of the same route. Rode the parkway to NC80>226>TN107, jumped on I-26>I-81 got off just before Marion onto 11 looking for gas was about to run out, good thing I exited there was a major back up for a good couple miles due to construction that you could easily see from 11 since it runs parallel to the interstate. Headed N across 16 again seen many more bikes out on the "Back of the Dragon" since it was Sunday.
These orange fellas got behind me somewhere along the way and we stopped for a chat at Thompson Valley Store. Yes I did pick up the "Back of the Dragon" T shirts.

Spent a lot of summers with my grandparents in these hills and went to Graham High School for year down there when I was a child and the only thing they knew about the mountain roads was travel with caution. So even though I'm considered a tourist when I bring that up people are really gifted at the gab and want to know if you know their family or vice versa.
War veteran memorial and French tribute train car

Coal Company structure built by Italian stonemasons. Itmann,WV was a booming coal town to have such a majestic structure.

Even in our modern age coal mining is a dangerous occupation.
steveb126 is offline   Reply With Quote