View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Red Line will ruin your seals.
Now are you referring to something like this?

bobistheoilguy's page on Esters In Synthetic Lubricants

Quote:
As with any product, there are also downsides to esters. The most common concern when formulating with ester basestocks is compatibility with the elastomer material used in the seals. All esters will tend to swell and soften most elastomer seals however, the degree to which they do so can be controlled through proper selection. When seal swell is desirable, such as in balancing the seal shrinkage and hardening characteristics of PAOs, more polar esters should be used such as those with lower molecular weight and/or higher number of ester linkages. When used as the exclusive basestock, the ester should be designed for compatibility with seals or the seals should be changed to those types which are more compatible with esters.
I've used Amsoil and Mobile1 in the past and a friend of mine is trying hard to convert me to Red Line which uses an ester based stock. Naturally I would have thought an oil that is made for motorcycles would take this 'seal issue' into account. But I would also like to hear more...

I'm not against using dyno oil (in fact using it now), but synthetic's additives I believe are better as far as temperature goes etc.... that is the main reason for me in going in that direction as soon as this bike is broken in.

Thanks
WindSailor is online now   Reply With Quote