View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #45
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,565
Both look good, understatement.

The miles on the RZ does make me ask the question, why do US bikes seem to do so few km?

One thing that has been happening here, greatly increasing in the last couple of years, is that second hand US bikes are being packed up and brought here by the container.

We always figured that our older bikes would end up in Japan, but unless it's something extra special, that doesn't seem to be happening.

The speculation here is that bikes are a summer toy over there. And, after a couple of summers they often get stuck in the back of the garage, basement, shed for some new summer toys. 10, 20, 30 years later, some enterprising person puts adverts in local papers, looking to buy bikes outright. And they buy up a heap of unrestored bikes that they can sell over here.

At the local end, because we ride all year round, our bikes tend to wear out and then end up as fair dinkum trash, suitable for parts basically.

Nostalgia is huge, and growing, these days. I'm happy that I can claim that I'm not being nostalgic, I'm just using bikes I've had for 30+ years.

Anyway, the 400 looks pretty wicked. Did they come out in a grey paint scheme? or only the white? If asked, I'd be saying there were a few grey ones.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote